" A wealth of information..."

"1169 And Counting is a wealth of information on our Republican past and present , and demonstrates how the Irish political landscape , like that of any nation, will never be a black and white issue..."

(From the ‘e-Thursday’ section of the ‘Business Week’ supplement of the ‘Irish Independent’ , 21st August 2008.)



IRISH BLOG AWARDS 2017 - we made it to the finalists page last year but never got to the stage :- ( 'cause not enough of ye feckers out there voted for us! So we're gonna give ya a second chance - the blog awards this year will be held on Thursday, October 5th (2017) in The Academy, Middle Abbey Street, in Dublin city centre, and we would appreciate if you could keep an eye here and give us a vote when ya can. Or else we'll get our 'Junior' to put up a pay wall and then ye will be sorry...!


Sunday, November 19, 2006

Donald and Saddam !

The world of the political wordsmith will be all the poorer for the recent political passing of Donald Rumsfeld :
In 2002 , Mr. Rumsfeld told a US Defence meeting - " As we know , there are known knowns . There are things we know we know . We also know there are known unknowns . That is to say , we know there are some things we do not know . But there are also unknown unknowns - the ones we don't know we don't know . " !
When Donald was asked at a press conference where Osama bin Laden was during the hunt for him in Afghanistan , he stated - " We do know of certain knowledge that he is either in Afghanistan , or in some other country . Or dead . "
Asked would the US go to war without the backing of Westminster , Donald replied - " Their situation is distinctive to their country and they have a government that deals with a parliament in their way , distinctive way , and what will ultimately be decided is unclear as to their role.....um......that is to say their role in the event a decision is made to use force...."

He told the New York Times newspaper - " Once in a while , I'm standing here , doing something . And I think 'what in the world am I doing here?' It's a big surprise ! "
He once replied to a reporter - " If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer and if I don't , I'll just respond , cleverly! "
He is also on record for having said the following gem - " I think what you'll find , I think what you'll find is , whatever it is we do substantively , there will be near-perfect clarity as to what it is ."
And more 'Rumsfeldisms' :
" And it will be known , and it will be known to the Congress , and it will be known to you , probably before we decide it , but it will be known . "
" I would not say that the future is necessarily less predictable than the past . I think the past was not predictable when it started . "
" I also know that stating what might be preferable...er....is simply stating what might be preferable ."
" Near my office is an American flag done in .... origami ... that's one of those words that I haven't mastered yet! "
" Well , um , somethings neither good nor bad but thinking makes it so , I suppose . As Shakespeare said . "
" I believe what I said yesterday .... I don't know what I said , er , but I know what I think and ...well , I assume it's what I said . "

As Oscar Wilde put it : " We have really everything in common with America nowadays , except , of course , language . "