" A wealth of information..."

"1169 And Counting is a wealth of information on our Republican past and present , and demonstrates how the Irish political landscape , like that of any nation, will never be a black and white issue..."

(From the ‘e-Thursday’ section of the ‘Business Week’ supplement of the ‘Irish Independent’ , 21st August 2008.)



This blog was listed as one of the 'Finalists' in the '2016 current affairs/politics' category of the Littlewoods Ireland blog awards - but we didn't win the award. But not to worry -thanks to everyone involved for getting us to the final stage of the competition and sure we'll try again the next time!

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

THE INEVITABILITY OF SECTARIAN COLLISION .......
GEORGE SEAWRIGHT , the tough-talking Scotsman and self-proclaimed "honest bigot" from the Shankill Road , is a DUP member of both Belfast City Council and the Northern Assembly . He is also the politician most closely associated with the Loyalist paramilitaries .
He believes that the rise of Sinn Fein has made an armed confrontation between the forces of Loyalism and Republicanism inevitable .
From 'FORTNIGHT' magazine , May 1984 .

George Seawright (DUP) thinks that the Unionists' use of 'bluff' is important in Republican thinking - " I believe that within the Provisional leadership there are those who believe that basically the Protestants are bluffing and will not put up a sustained armed resistance . "

What this fails to take into account , says Seawright , is the hard core from areas like the Shankill Road and East Belfast who will fight a united Ireland to the death - " The only question is how many of that type of Loyalist would rise to the fore ? " Those determined to fight , Seawright believes , could be incorporated into a totally overhauled , broad-based Loyalist paramilitary structure .

He admits that at present in many Loyalist circles , the paramilitaries are a 'dirty word' for gangsterism and racketeering , and law-abiding Protestants want nothing to do with them . But he goes on - " What will happen in the 1980's , if Loyalists are to get their act together , is that paramilitarism is going to have to become acceptable to the broad mass of the Loyalist people . In that situation you could have a Loyalist paramilitary force working in conjunction with a political brain and the goal could be a provisional government ... " .......

(MORE LATER).




THE IRA HAS TO DO WHAT THE IRA HAS TO DO .......
The Sinn Fein electoral wagon is slowing down . As a result , the IRA is likely to begin stepping up its war against the Northern State . GENE KERRIGAN reports from Belfast and also interviews Sinn Fein's DANNY MORRISON on the party's recent successes and failures .
From ' MAGILL ' magazine , September 1984.

'MAGILL' magazine : " But the 'left-right' division remains . The 'right' are still there and the 'left' has yet to prove that its ideas are paying off . "

Danny Morrison ; " I think it has paid off . If you look at things from October 1982 onwards there have been occasions when , say for example , the IRA for whatever reason has'nt been as active , perhaps through some form of difficulties or other , for maybe a month at a time . You've had Sinn Fein electoral results making a big impact and demoralising the Brits and making the news in Britain and internationally , both in October 1982 and June 1983 .

Ken Livingstone's visit here in February 1983 , Gerry Adams going to London after the exclusion order was lifted in July 1983 - all of those things have been very important in terms of the struggle .

I think the Republican Movement , through having elected representatives , has increased credibility . It does make it easier - for example , Clive Soley was here talking to us two weeks ago - that makes it easier for people like that to engage in discussion and to realise that we have'nt got horns and to realise that what we are saying , that there is validity to it . "

(MORE LATER).




THE INTERROGATION OF STEPHEN MOORE ....... .
On 11 July 1986 , Stephen Moore , from Clones in County Monaghan , accepted £25,000 plus costs to settle an action out of court .
He had sued 'Ireland' and the Attorney General for injuries he had received in garda custody in Monaghan Garda Station in March 1983 .
In that same year , John Milne received £51,900 for injuries sustained at the hands of two named gardai in that same garda station . He was also awarded costs .
Despite the fact that more than £75,000 has been paid out as a result of garda activity in Monaghan Garda Station , no garda has been charged with a criminal offence . In fact , some of the gardai who were accused have been promoted .

In his own words , this is Stephen Moore's description of what happened to him in garda custody -

- " They put me in a squad car and I was taken to Monaghan . There were two gardai in the front and two in the back and I was in the middle . I asked to make a telephone call . There was no problems . They said OK , like . I rang home . I told my mother and father where I was , that I had been transferred to Monaghan . I was interviewed by about four Detectives , in pairs of two , until about ten (o'clock) as far as I can make out . My watch , my gutties (shoes) and a few bob in my pocket was taken .

They were asking me about a hi-jacking of a Post Office van at Clontivern , County Fermanagh . There was no ill treatment . There was no problems . Plunkett Taaffe , Solicitor , arrived in . He advised me to make a statement to the gardai . I made it . I said in the statement that I did not wish to make a statement now or in the near future . That was it . When Plunkett Taaffe left , I was put back in my cell .

That was the end of Saturday night . No problems . I slept between twelve and nine . I had no worries , I slept . My family visited me on Sunday morning for about half an hour . When they left , I was taken to a place called the ' Doctor's Room ' . I suppose it was about eleven o' clock on Sunday . As far as times are concerned , it's guesswork . I had no watch . There was an interview with two Detectives . I did'nt know their names at that stage . They had a statement written out . They were trying to force me to sign it . The statement was in reference to the hi-jacking . They were trying to force me to sign it . They were pushing me from one to the other ....... " .......

(MORE LATER).