Monday, May 10, 2004

WILLIAM ROONEY , poet and journalist ; 1872-1901 .......


.......As a child in the CBS School in Great Strand Street in Dublin , in the late 19th Century , William Rooney became friends with a class-mate - Arthur Griffith .......


William Rooney left the CBS School and got a job as a solicitors clerk ; he and Arthur Griffith were regulars at the various societies and clubs in Dublin at that time , most of which had a Nationalist / Republican slant , such as the Leinster Literary Society and the Celtic Literary Society . These groups held meetings at which Irish culture , history , literature and music , were discussed .

As well as studying those subjects , and although by now only in his twenties , William Rooney was writing articles for newspapers and periodicals as well ; his writings were prominently featured in some of the then estimated 200 different titles which were in circulation in Dublin , alone , at the time (ie late 18th /early 19th Century), but some of these newspapers and periodicals were ephemeral (ie 'one-hit-wonders') and have left no known trace behind .......

(MORE LATER).



WHERE MOUNTAINY MEN HAVE SOWN :

war and peace in rebel Cork ,
in the turbulent years 1916-21.

By Micheal O'Suilleabhain : published 1965.

COOLNACAHERA and COOMNACLOHY .......


"....... 25th February , 1921 - our IRA Column left the farmhouse to establish an ambush position at Coolnacahera . I was in temporary charge of the Lewis-Gun ....... "


" Our Lewis-Gunner , Hughie , was due to join us any minute now . However , I laid the gun ready for action , and then had a look about me ; I was alone in a natural depression on top of a rock that commanded a wide field and a long stretch of road . On my left was John Patrick (Cronin) , number three in our Lewis-Gun section , next to him was Pat Mary Walsh (Cronin) , and next to Pat was John McCann MacSweeney , all sharp-shooting riflemen from Ballingeary . On my left front I could see Corney O'Sullivan , Jim Grey , Sean Murray , Patsy Lynch , my brother Pat , 'Sandow' and Jack Culhane .

I could see that the Macroom men were in their positions across the road ; it was a morning of bright sunshine and clear air with a little frost , and a stillness which made sound audible at a great distance . Suddenly I became aware of a complete silence - everyone I could see appeared to be listening intently . At first I could hear nothing , then I thought I heard a very faint singing noise . Soon I heard it distinctly but thought it came from a great distance . I wondered whether our signaller was yet at his post - we were hardly ten minutes in position at that stage . Then I heard a voice -

" Mick , Mick ! " : it came from my brother Pat's group . They also motioned me to cover , and the same voice added : " They are coming ......." "

(MORE LATER).



PLASTIC BULLETS - The Child Killers .......



' In Northern Ireland (sic) six children were shot and killed with plastic bullets . Many more were severly injured . Jacinta O'Brien spoke to the families of these innocent victims of violence . '


From 'Womans Way' Magazine , 21st October 1983 , pages 11 , 12 , 13 , and 14 .


Reproduced here in 16 parts .


(13 of 16).


Julie Livingstone was in hospital with head wounds caused by a plastic bullet ; her mother was told that Julie was in good condition , but she was not convinced that that was so ...


" I had such a terrible feeling that things were not right . I did'nt sleep a wink all night , " she recalled . The following day Julie Livingstone died as a result of complications . A heartbroken Mrs. Livingstone could'nt bear to attend the inquest on her daughter's death , but for her husband Archie and her daughters it was almost as traumatic as Julie's death itself - " We were kept standing in the corridor outside the court-room by a member of the RUC . He told us the hearing was'nt on yet ; by the time he let us in it was half over - most of the British soldiers had been questioned , " said Julie's sister , Kathleen .......

(MORE LATER).