" A wealth of information..."

"1169 And Counting is a wealth of information on our Republican past and present , and demonstrates how the Irish political landscape , like that of any nation, will never be a black and white issue..."

(From the ‘e-Thursday’ section of the ‘Business Week’ supplement of the ‘Irish Independent’ , 21st August 2008.)



This blog was listed as one of the 'Finalists' in the '2016 current affairs/politics' category of the Littlewoods Ireland blog awards - but we didn't win the award. But not to worry -thanks to everyone involved for getting us to the final stage of the competition and sure we'll try again the next time!

Monday, August 22, 2005

THE INEVITABILITY OF SECTARIAN COLLISION .......
GEORGE SEAWRIGHT , the tough-talking Scotsman and self-proclaimed "honest bigot" from the Shankill Road , is a DUP member of both Belfast City Council and the Northern Assembly . He is also the politician most closely associated with the Loyalist paramilitaries .
He believes that the rise of Sinn Fein has made an armed confrontation between the forces of Loyalism and Republicanism inevitable .
From 'FORTNIGHT' magazine , May 1984 .

George Seawright (DUP) says what little element of accommodation there had been in the Sinn Fein programme - a federal Ireland - had now "...been wiped right off the sheet of their philosophy in one go . Now when they speak of 'Brits Out!' they can't seriously be referring to the soldiers who came here in 1969 - Protestants would construe it as meaning them . "

And he concludes with a grim warning to his fellow Loyalists : " Provisionalism has its act together . Republicanism is going the direct road , it's got a clear-cut objective one way or the other . Facing that situation , if Protestants dither - and there is an element of confusion among Protestants - if they remain confused and don't get their act together in this generation , then they'll have to face defeat and have to get out of Northern Ireland (sic) . I believe that when they're faced with the enormity of this situation that will be enough to motivate them to get their act together . "

(' 1169 ... ' Comment - this , again , was propaganda from Seawright : the Irish Struggle is not about 'forcing Unionists/Loyalists out ' of the Six Counties - it is about obtaining an end to Westminster's jurisdictional claim over that part of Ireland and the withdrawal of British Army troops from the island . If those , in the Six Counties , that consider themselves 'British' do not want to stay then they will not be forced to . It is their choice . )

[END of 'THE INEVITABILITY OF SECTARIAN COLLISION' .]
(Tomorrow - '17 Victims Of British Justice' : from 1984 .)



THE IRA HAS TO DO WHAT THE IRA HAS TO DO .......
The Sinn Fein electoral wagon is slowing down . As a result , the IRA is likely to begin stepping up its war against the Northern State . GENE KERRIGAN reports from Belfast and also interviews Sinn Fein's DANNY MORRISON on the party's recent successes and failures .
From ' MAGILL ' magazine , September 1984.

'MAGILL' Magazine : " Is'nt one major reason for the lack of development of Sinn Fein in the South its ambiguity towards the State , whether the State has to be removed ? "

Danny Morrison : " Owen Carron was badly misquoted in a speech he made in London two years ago , about how republicans have to destabilise the 26 counties . The Free State government has on occasion since then berated us over that statement , which Owen Carron did not make . (' 1169 ... ' Comment - this corrupt State needs not only to be 'destabilised' , but tore asunder and re-built . The career politicians in Leinster House are living beyond the means of the people ; was Morrison of the opinion that the then Sinn Fein leadership would be content simply to 'tweak' the existing system .. ?)

What Sinn Fein has to recognise and I think is recognising is that the vast majority of people in the 26 counties consider the institutions of the State as being legitimate . Now , I don't . But it is not legitimate to attempt to bring down the 26 counties through armed struggle . ( '1169...' Comment - by this definition , then , was the Republican campaign against the Free State in the early 1920's not a 'legitimate' struggle ?) Fianna Fail and Fine Gael , they're trying to change the 26 counties . Fianna Fail would argue for a unitary state - if there is a unitary state the 26 counties ceases to exist , the institutions of the state become new institutions . Fine Gael say they would favour a federal or confederal arrangement - in which case it has to be new institutions .

What I'm saying is that in the course of achieving a united Ireland the 26 counties will naturally change . And it will have to at some stage cease to exist . Now , that's not the same as getting up waving a red flag and saying "We're out to blow youse away " . The ordinary people in the 26 counties will remove the people who are presently in government and in opposition - because of their failures . They will have to go , they will be removed , quite naturally , by the people . It's got nothing to do with Sinn Fein , it's got nothing to do with the IRA .

Having said that , I recognise that the vast majority of people in the 26 counties consider the State and its institutions to be legitimate . I still say that I don't consider it to be legitimate . ( ' 1169 ... ' Comment - that is not now the position of Provisional Sinn Fein , nor has it been since 1986 . Since that year they have been a constitutionally-registered 'political party' in the Free State .) I consider that the Free State was created by Britain and is still defending what was defended in the civil war ....... "

(MORE LATER).




THE INTERROGATION OF STEPHEN MOORE ....... .
On 11 July 1986 , Stephen Moore , from Clones in County Monaghan , accepted £25,000 plus costs to settle an action out of court .
He had sued 'Ireland' and the Attorney General for injuries he had received in garda custody in Monaghan Garda Station in March 1983 .
In that same year , John Milne received £51,900 for injuries sustained at the hands of two named gardai in that same garda station . He was also awarded costs .
Despite the fact that more than £75,000 has been paid out as a result of garda activity in Monaghan Garda Station , no garda has been charged with a criminal offence . In fact , some of the gardai who were accused have been promoted .

Stephen Moore ; two Detectives : in his own words , this is what happened ....

... " The Detectives forced me into a metal filing cabinet . They locked the doors . They started banging it and shaking it . It fell to the floor , with me inside . That went on for a few minutes - it was only a few minutes . They opened the doors and I got out . There was a table in the room . The older of the two Detectives continued shouting abuse and the younger one was fiddling about with a piece of paper . I was more or less looking at the fellow who was shouting at me . I felt the younger one putting a piece of paper in my left ear . I know myself that it was a piece of paper that he had rolled up . I honestly thought he was only messing about . I thought he was only playing a trick .

He lit the paper . The moment it was lit , he flicked it out . He did'nt think it would catch alight so quick but at that stage it had burned my hair . The two of them had threatened to throw me out the window . They brought me over and had me at it . There was wire mesh at the front , they could'nt have thrown me out . I knew myself . They continued to hit into my stomach and kicking me in the groin . I called for a doctor continually over the one and a half hour period that I was in there . At that stage they got frightened - I was short of breath . I had bronchitis as a child . I'd been in hospital about a year or two before that . I had pains in my chest . One of the Detectives went out and brought in tea and chicken sandwiches . " You'll be OK ... " , this was the type of shit they were going on with .

They stayed for a few minutes , did'nt do anything to me , and they left then . Next thing , two more Detectives came in - one that I knew very well and the other I'd never seen before . They continued the interrogation . The one that I knew shouted at me and the other slapped me about the back of the head . That went on for about half an hour or so . The next thing I knew my solicitor was there and they asked me if I wanted to see him . 'Course , I said yes . They brought me downstairs and I met Plunkett Taaffe . Broke down . Broke down in front of him . It was'nt the pain of what happened ; it was the relief of knowing that when Plunkett was there at that stage there was a chance that I would'nt be hit again . He immediately called for a doctor ....... "

(MORE LATER).