" A wealth of information..."

"1169 And Counting is a wealth of information on our Republican past and present , and demonstrates how the Irish political landscape , like that of any nation, will never be a black and white issue..."

(From the ‘e-Thursday’ section of the ‘Business Week’ supplement of the ‘Irish Independent’ , 21st August 2008.)



IRISH BLOG AWARDS 2017 - ooops! It seems that our entry application was "not completed in time to be considered.." (?) and, as such, we are not now in the running. But we wish all the best to the successful entrants and to the organisers, and we hope all goes well for them on the day!


Saturday, March 20, 2010

A picket will be held in Dublin on Saturday 27th March 2010 in support of Irish Republican prisoners : this picket will be held near the spot where Irish patriot Robert Emmet - himself a political prisoner - was executed in 1803.....




From "A FENIAN BALLAD" [aka "Sweet Iveleary"]
By JEREMIAH O’DONOVAN ROSSA
(pictured above) :

".. I joined the Redcoats then – mo lein! – what would my father say?
And I was sent in one short year on service to Bombay.

I thought to be a pauper was the greatest human curse
But fighting in a robber’s cause I felt it ten times worse!
I helped to plunder and enslave those tribes of India’s sons
And we spent many a sultry day blowing sepoys from our guns.

I told these sins to Father Ned, the murder and the booty.
These were no sins for me, he said, I only did my “duty” ...

No sin to kill for English greed in some far foreign clime
How can it be that patriot love in Ireland is a crime?
How can it be, by God’s decree, I’m cursed, outlawed and banned?
Because I swore one day to free my trampled native land."


....the picket in support of those who have been "...cursed , outlawed and banned.." will , as stated , be held on Saturday 27th March 2010 outside St Catherine's Church in Thomas Street , Dublin , between 12 Noon and 2pm. These prisoners have been jailed because they fought against a 'robbers cause' , and deserve our support.
ALL WELCOME !
Thanks!
Sharon.